Founded in 1991, the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (SB Bike) is a countywide advocacy and resource organization that promotes bicycling for safe transportation and recreation. It consists of dedicated volunteers who maintain contact with City, County and regional transportation professionals, elected officials, educators, bike clubs, employee transportation coordinators, bike shops, bike manufacturers, and other advocacy groups.
Bici Centro, a project of SB Bike, is a community DIY bicycle repair shop and education center, with the goal of facilitating skill share and increase reliability and safety for Santa Barbara bicycle riders.
The Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition is a nonprofit 501 (c)3 organization.
Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law: SB Bike Tax ID#77-0395986
PRESS & AWARDS
Bicycling Expert Spreads the Gospel of Green Lanes: Martha Roskowski from Bikes Belong (Independent, June 2013)
Singletrack High, a documentary showcasing the positive impact of the high school mountain biking movement. Independent (May 2013) Noozhawk (May 2013)
Singletrack High Teaser from Pedal Born Pictures on Vimeo.
Wings on their wheels (May 2013)
Christine Bourgeois, Denise Clark & Jill Gass
Pedal Power (Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition's youth program)
Successful youth bike programs in Santa Barbara county (blog article in Long Beach: Jan 2013)
New location for Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition/Bici Centro (Noowhawk, Lara Cooper) Jan 2013
Pedal On Articles on bike culture in the Independent (written by Erika Lindemann & Howard Booth) Twice a month.
Pedal Power in Carpinteria: Gearing up for a safe ride (Coastal View by Erin Lennon) May 2012 (page 2)
Velo Wings Awards : Extraordinary Santa Barbara Women for Cycling Volunteerism: Anne Chen, Carmen Lozano & Kim Stanley-Zimmermann (Independent, May 2012)
Hundreds take advantage of National Bike to School Day at Santa Barbara High School (KEYT local news) on May 9, 2012
Velo Vogue: Bike Fashion Show (KEYT local news) & Edhat (May 2012)
Bike Moves (KEYT local news)
Bike World 2012: Earth Day by bus (a spoof on Wayne's World) by Nick Hoyle (April 2012)
With my Own Two Wheels (film produced by Jacob Siegel-Boettner)
Community Bike Shops are changing the face of cycling in America (National Bike Summit in Washington DC: Bike Portland, March 2012)
Bici Centro: le velo solidaire a Santa Barbara (L'Heureux Cyclage, Decembre 2011) in French
Bike Shop High (Independent, November 2011)
Santa Barbara Advocates Pilot Mobile Mobile Shop for Spanish-Language Outreach (Alliance for Biking & Walking, February 2011)
Bici Centro launches new Interactive Web Site (Independent, April 2010)
Bici Centro On a Roll as Bike-Repair Workshops Gain Traction (Noozhawk, November 2009)
Bicycle Empowerment: Bici Centro builds Santa Barbara's Bicycle Culture (Independent, June 2008)
MEMBERSHIP: Join your Bicycle Coalition NOW
Your Membership makes a difference for bicycling in Santa Barbara County. There is strength in numbers.
Anybody can join the email subscription list, send and receive posted messages about efforts to improve bicycling in Santa Barbara County. Keep messages concise and relevant. To join the list, simply send an email message (leave the subject blank) to:
If you wish to review past postings to our list, go to lists.riseup.net/www/arc/sbbike.
Projects and programs that have been implemented
- Repaving Canon Perdido Street between Milpas and Garden Streets, striping wide bikelanes and narrow car lanes.
- Joined with Santa Barbara's community bike program Bici Centro to reach underserved bicyclists.
- Widening North Jameson Lane in Montecito between Olive Mill and Ortega Hill, striping bikelanes.
- Increasing safety for cyclists with a separate bikepath between Summerland and Montecito.
- Narrow the traffic lanes and stripe in bikelanes on outer State Street, from Highway 154 to De la Vina Street.
- Crafted a bike safety video "Decide to Ride."
- Bike racks on all large MTD buses for all routes.
- Maria Ygnacio bikeway access links to Hollister Avenue.
- Bike storage lockers for Santa Maria and Lompoc.
- Widen Alamo Pintado Road between Ballard and Los Olivos, and stripe in bikelanes.
- Shoreline Drive narrowed to two lanes, parking removed, bikelanes striped, new bikepath created.
- Bikeway signs along 80 miles of streets and paths throughout the South Coast.
- Widen shoulders on Highway 246 between Buellton and Solvang.
- Regular Street Skills classes to improve bicyclist confidence.
- Via Real widening, bikelanes striped between Carpinteria and Summerland.
THANK YOU! GRACIAS! MERCI!