Who We Are
Founded in 1991, the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (SBBC) is a countywide advocacy and resource organization that promotes bicycling for safe transportation and recreation. It consists of dedicated volunteers who maintain contact with City, County and regional transportation professionals, elected officials, educators, bike clubs, employee transportation coordinators, bike shops, bike manufacturers, and other advocacy groups.
Bici Centro, a project of the SBBC, is a community DIY bicycle repair shop and education center, with the goal of facilitating skill share and increase reliability and safety for Santa Barbara bicycle riders.
Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition is a nonprofit 501 (c)3 corporation.
Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law: SBBC Tax ID#77-0395986
PRESS & AWARDS
Successful youth bike programs in Santa Barbara county (blog article in Long Beach: Jan 2013) + VIDEO
New location for Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition/Bici Centro (Noowhawk, Lara Cooper) Jan 2013
Pedal On Articles on bike culture in the Independent (written by Erika Lindemann & Howard Booth) Twice a month.
Pedal Power in Carpinteria: Gearing up for a safe ride (Coastal View by Erin Lennon) May 2012 (page 2)
Velo Wings Awards Extraordinary Santa Barbara Women for Cycling Volunteerism (Independent, May 2012)
Hundreds take advantage of National Bike to School Day at Santa Barbara High School (KEYT local news) on May 9, 2012
Velo Vogue: Bike Fashion Show (KEYT local news) & Edhat (May 2012)
Bike Moves (KEYT local news)
Bike World 2012: Earth Day by bus (a spoof on Wayne's World) by Nick Hoyle (April 2012)
With my Own Two Wheels (film produced by Jacob Siegel-Boettner)
Community Bike Shops are changing the face of cycling in America (National Bike Summit in Washington DC: Bike Portland, March 2012)
Bici Centro: le velo solidaire a Santa Barbara (L'Heureux Cyclage, Decembre 2011) in French
Bike Shop High (Independent, November 2011)
Santa Barbara Advocates Pilot Mobile Mobile Shop for Spanish-Language Outreach (Alliance for Biking & Walking, February 2011)
Bici Centro launches new Interactive Web Site (Independent, April 2010)
Bici Centro On a Roll as Bike-Repair Workshops Gain Traction (Noozhawk, November 2009)
Bicycle Empowerment: Bici Centro builds Santa Barbara's Bicycle Culture (Independent, June 2008)
MEMBERSHIP: Join your Bicycle Coalition NOW
Your Membership makes a difference for bicycling in Santa Barbara County. There is strength in numbers.
* Staff and volunteers are working 24/7/365 in the cycling issues that matter to you.
* DISCOUNTS at the following local bike shops:
- Bicycle Bob's, 250 Storke Road #A, Goleta & 15 Hitchcock Way, Santa Barbara. 10% off on parts & accessories
- Bicycle Connection, 223 W. Ocean Avenue, Lompoc. 10% off on parts, accessories & bikes
- Cranky's, 1014 State Street, Santa Barbara. 10% off on parts & accessories
- Dr J's Bicycle Shop, 1693 Mission Drive, Solvang. 10% off on parts & accessories
- Hazard's Cyclesport, 110 Anacapa St, Santa Barbara. 10% off on parts & accessories
- Lighthouse Cycles, Santa Ynez. 10% off on parts & accessories
- Main Street Cycles, 311 East Main Street, Santa Maria. 10% off on parts & accessories
- VeloPro Cyclery, 633 State Street, Santa Barbara and 5887 Hollister Avenue, Goleta. 10% off on parts & accessories
DISCOUNT on bike classes offered at Bici Centro
Bike valet at the SB Bowl. Volunteers share VIP passes. See some of the concert free and up close!
Invitation to fun biking events (CycleMAYnia, Bicycle Film Festival, rides...)
Stay up to date on current bike news with emails and the quarterly Quick Release
History of our coalition: 20 years of Quick Release (November 1991-January 2011)
Magazine Momentum is pleased to promote its Advocacy Partnership Program. Save $5 on a one-year subscription to the magazine, plus Momentum will donate $5 to the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition. Subscribe here
Anybody can join the email subscription list, send and receive posted messages about efforts to improve bicycling in Santa Barbara County. Keep messages concise and relevant. To join the list, simply send an email message (leave the subject blank) to:
If you wish to review past postings to our list, go to lists.riseup.net/www/arc/sbbike.
Projects and programs that have been implemented
- Repaving Canon Perdido Street between Milpas and Garden Streets, striping wide bikelanes and narrow car lanes.
- Joined with Santa Barbara's community bike program Bici Centro to reach underserved bicyclists.
- Widening North Jameson Lane in Montecito between Olive Mill and Ortega Hill, striping bikelanes.
- Increasing safety for cyclists with a separate bikepath between Summerland and Montecito.
- Narrow the traffic lanes and stripe in bikelanes on outer State Street, from Highway 154 to De la Vina Street.
- Crafted a bike safety video "Decide to Ride."
- Bike racks on all large MTD buses for all routes.
- Maria Ygnacio bikeway access links to Hollister Avenue.
- Bike storage lockers for Santa Maria and Lompoc.
- Widen Alamo Pintado Road between Ballard and Los Olivos, and stripe in bikelanes.
- Shoreline Drive narrowed to two lanes, parking removed, bikelanes striped, new bikepath created.
- Bikeway signs along 80 miles of streets and paths throughout the South Coast.
- Widen shoulders on Highway 246 between Buellton and Solvang.
- Regular Street Skills classes to improve bicyclist confidence.
- Via Real widening, bikelanes striped between Carpinteria and Summerland.
THANK YOU! GRACIAS! MERCI!